Sunday, May 17, 2009

And another thought...



One of the most fascinating discoveries about thoughts is that when really being aware of them, their origin starts to reveal itself.

I remember the first time I heard someone say that thoughts had forms, my eyes grew bigger and my ears became more attentive.

It is true. Often when I am with someone, and I am quiet enough inside, I can feel their thoughts and I can feel other thoughts enter my consciousness.

This is not new and it is a common experience for people that meditate. Thoughts become tangible things with forms and substance (a different type, not the material one, but a substance in itself). For some it has had such an impact that it has become their ticket to enlightenment.

One such person is Sri Aurobindo, which I often quote in this blog. I guess he was just prepared, because when he sought help on the topic (a long story made very short here) he just got it. Lele, (short for Vishnu Bhaskar Lele), suggested to Sri Aurobindo that he sit three days in solitude and watch his thoughts and that he would notice they came from the outside. On Sri Aurobindo's words:

I did not think either of questioning the truth or the possibility, I simply sat down and did it. In a moment my mind became silent as a windless air on a high mountain summit and then I saw one thought and then another coming in a concrete way from outside; I flung them away before they could enter and take hold of the brain and in three days I was free.

I am a long way from attaining this, but the possibility exists. Ahhh, silence, endless silence...

Have you tried watching your thoughts?

I would love to hear your experiences!

No comments:

Post a Comment