Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Food, health and freedom

Food is one of those things that most people tend to underestimate. It is so much part of being human that we either give it too much importance or completely neglect it.

Throughout my life I have been changing my diet. As a teenager I would eat anything, (including lots of chocolates) and I would gain or loose weight accordingly. I think I ate a bit too much though.
Later in life I became vegetarian (only cheese and eggs included), then I changed to the blood type diet (according to which I was incidentally supposed to be vegetarian) and so on.

With all these said, there have been times when I am so immersed in whatever I am doing that I completely forget to eat. There have also been times when I have found eating such a weird experience. A particular time I remember, working in a company that had a dining room for their employees, I sat there with my selection of food and looked around the room. Everyone was munching away, sharing stories (or gossip) and I thought 'how strange this is that we humans have to put some foreign matter into this thing called mouth to be able to live'. Bizarre.

As time passed by. I lost quite some weight and muscle (probably as a result of lack of exercise). Weight that I have not been able to put on. I decided to go back to eating protein. I started with chicken and fish and every now and then sea food (it was too strong for my palate). Red meat has not been an option, unless I really, really crave it, which is almost never.

The thing is, food is a vital part of inhabiting a human body (unless you are an ultra advanced yogi). However as time has passed I realized that instead of following some external diet, I need to tune into my body and see what it needs. This way it is possible to eat whatever one wants instead of following a set of external rules. The problem with this approach for some people is that they are so out of tune with it, that it is almost impossible to know what is the best thing to eat.

A question I ask myself often is, what would it take to be free of the food slavery. My answer to this has been, let the body eat what it needs. Freedom... !

Lately I have been exploring the idea of trying the raw foods diet, despite the fact that Ayurvedic doctors have advised me to eat cooked food. So in the process of deciding if this is something my body needs/wants I have been exploring what is available on the net. My main intention is to do a thorough detox as I feel I have accumulated all sorts of things that are not supporting my body's well being.

A list of resources to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment